Monday, June 7, 2010

Palmyra, New York : The Sacred Grove

I realize I am a few days behind in our progress on the trip. However, my dad requested that I skip ahead to today's events and catch up on everything later in future posts.

Early this Sunday morning, each family member grudgingly packed into the van and made final goodbyes to our wonderful friends, the Knudsons. All returned to deep slumber in the car except for my dad, who was obviously the driver, and myself, who could not stop reading Dan Brown's latest book, The Lost Symbol. After several hours we reached Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. Those awake (Dad and Myself) walked to the visitor center for a few minutes and enjoyed the massive collection of guns, ammunition, and uniforms of Civil War soldiers. A few more family members joined us as we walked just a few hundred feet into the actual location of the Gettysburg battle where we found numerous tombs and memorials celebrating the accomplishments and deaths of the regiments of troops who fought . We also had the opportunity to watch a live shooting demonstration by men dressed in typical Civil War attire. Back to the road! Our next destination was Palmyra, New York.  

Me with President Lincoln.

The 119th New York Division preforming a Civil War demonstration.

Me in front of the Gettysburg Visitor Center.


The original calendar of events said that we were doing to New York City today but both mom and dad decided going to the Sacred Grove and visiting other church history sights would be more appropriate activities for Sunday. As we entered the Sacred Grove visitor center we were greeted by a very friendly sister missionary who became our tour guide. She showed us the Smith family log cabin home and bore her testimony of the restoration of the gospel to the earth today. We made our way to the beginning of the path to the grove. My dad told each child to separate and make this a special experience.

The sister missionary and our family in front of the Smith family home. 

Family with the Palmyra Temple in the background. 

Family with the Palmyra Temple in the background. 

I followed his instructions and patiently waited till all were ahead of me before continuing into the quite forest. I offered a prayer that my testimony of Joseph Smith, the First Vision, and the Restoration of the gospel would be strengthened by entering and pondering in the Sacred Grove. As I began to walk along the path the true nature of my location hit hard. I was walking in a place where God the Father and Jesus Christ appeared, in the flesh, to Joseph Smith. I felt inspired by the Spirit to sing a song. All the way back I sang “I Am A Child of God”, “I Believe In Christ”, “I Lived in Heaven”, and “Joseph Smith's First Prayer.” I prayed once again to feel the Spirit.  



The Sacred Grove

As I keep walking down the path I found a leaf on the ground covered in dirt. I thought about how each one of us becomes dirty and accumulates “dirt” as we sin. I picked up the leaf and then noticed another leaf on a nearby bench face-down. As I turned it over I thought about how each one of us also has the opportunity to “turn over a new leaf” and change ourselves through the Atonement of Jesus Christ. After this moment I felt a strong outpouring of the Spirit. I left the Sacred Grove with a renewed commitment to follow Jesus and to fulfill basic things that I had been recently neglecting like scripture study and daily prayer.  


Since everyone had split up, everyone returned to the car at different times. Once everyone had used the restroom for one last time, it was back to the van. We drove to the temple but unfortunately wee could only circle the grounds because it was closed. Our final stop of the evening was the Hill Cumorah. Like previously, a senior missionary brother gave us a tour of the visitor center and bore his testimony of Jesus Christ. We hurriedly hiked up the hill because mom was very hungry and we needed to get back on the road. After a few pictures and rolling back down the hill, it was time to leave New York.  



The statue of Moroni on the top of the Hill Cumorah.

Flowers next to the statue.

No comments:

Post a Comment